My job as a SSI Diving Instructor does have a few perks like last month trying out the Mares XR Kevlar Drysuit and over the summer month I will be reveiwing a few new Mares Products. I'm the happy owner of a new set of Regulators designed by Mares for SSI Dive Professionals. The Twin Power edition includes a Fusion 52X Regulator and a octopus Loop, all kept safe in a SSI Dive Pro regulator bag it's really cool. All I need to do now is get my hoses and my transmitter fitted and go for it. I went for a din fitting which I've always preferred. Deep Blue here I come for a play, then Capernwray for some cold water diving.
Now to the serious stuff the Fusion 52x is the benchmark in high-performance scuba regulators,the fusion 52x marks a radical departure from the existing modles! Incredible air flow with Twin Power control Mares first, optimized performance, durability and award-winning design.
- ACT - Valve -Advanced Coating Technology, the new valve in the "X" systems increses durability by an astounding 600%, even under the most extreme conditions.
- ALL METAL TECHNOLOGY, Outstanding mechanical reliability and high thermal conductivity make it extremely long lasting and ideal for cold water diving. The high thermal conductivity of metal reduces also the dry mouth feeling during a dive.
- VAD - Vortex Assisted Design, The air bypass tube delivers air to the mouthpiece creating a swirling vortex with a low pressure area in the center that keeps the diaphragm down during inhalation, for very sensitive and easy breathing at all depths.
- SUPERFLEX HOSE, Extreme light weight and exceptional softness guarantee the maximum freedom of movement.
- DFC - Dynamic Flow Control, minimizes intermediate pressure drop during inhalation thus maximizing gas delivery, especially under extreme conditions.
- TWIN POWER, New, flow control manages the delivery rate of your gas, from natural breathing to power breathing. The former is the traditional way of breathing a Mares regulator, the power provides an extra push when needed.
- NCC - Natural Convection Channel, Increases cold water performance by creating a flow of water across the regulator. The flow is driven by the change of density in water with temperature.
So I took my new regs with me over to Deep Blue in Fuerteventura for a trial, the MR52X is compact and offerd a neat hose-routing from it's ports. I set up an analogue gauge plus a electronic tank module for my Mares Quad Air, two second stages and a hose for my drysuit and bcd it all fitted nicely.
I must say the Fusion second stage is quite heavy but very well made, it felt a bit heavy in my mouth. Once I was in the water the weight soon disapperd and felt almost neutrally buoyant. The bubbles were sent away from my face, it was very easy to breath from and I found there was no resistance at the start of each inhalation, breathing in and out was very easy.
The VAD+ control was very easy to use and turn, I noticed a difference in performance straight away between the two settings. The Fusion worked really well and didn't freeflow while working with students. The purge is very big and easy to control.
I have dived with my trusty Apeks XTX200 for many years and it has always performed very well, but now after having the pleasure of diving and owning the Mares Fusion 52x the Apeks will become my spare set. The fusion is heavy due to its all metal construction but that makes it seem like it's bulletproof only time will tell, but i belive it will last a lifetime.
Anybody want to join us for a dive, and give them a try your very welcome, get in touch and I'll be glad to help.